Dear Presidential candidate,
In order for me to decide who to vote for in the Democratic primary tomorrow, there is some information that I desperately need from you. Since 9/11, federal actions have made it ‘legal’ to secretly search my house, access my financial, medical, and educational records, tap my email and phone without the usual judicial oversight, and eliminate my rights to a fair trial and a lawyer.
To vote for you, I need to know exactly what you are going to do to restore the Bill of Rights and my constitutional freedoms to me and to all other Americans. I would like explicit answers to the following questions in order to vote for you tomorrow – it will be on this basis that I will decide which candidate I will support.
Should you be elected President of the United States, will you commit to the following:
Thank you for answering my questions - please make your answers public so all voters can decide on the basis of this information if you are worthy to be President of the United States.
- Will you repeal all unconstitutional parts of the USA PATRIOT Act?
- Will you repeal the parts of Patriot Act 2 that were recently passed as part of the Intelligence Authorization Act, giving the FBI authorization to access a broad range of financial information on citizens, businesses, and organizations without a warrant or judicial oversight?
- Will you re-establish boundaries between federal actions that are taken to protect Americans from terrorism, and ordinary criminal investigations?
- Will you direct the FBI to cease wasting resources investigating dissenting groups which are unconnected to terrorist organizations, and refrain from keeping records on Americans who merely engage in First Amendment-protected freedom of speech in the form of protests?
- Will you restore the right of Americans to privacy of their person and effects, as is guaranteed under the 4th amendment to the Constitution, and insure customary judicial oversight and the need for probable cause before it is violated?
- Will you reinstate the right of all Americans to counsel, a fair and speedy trial, and to know the charges against them?
- Will you break the connection currently being made between vandalism and other property simple crimes, and terrorism?
- Will you guarantee that you will protect and uphold the Bill of Rights and the freedoms they guarantee, as you swear in your oath of office?